Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Red Earth and Pouring Rain

I have been reading this book by Vikram Chandra for the last week or so. I picked it up in a 50% sale last weekend at "Odyssey" a bookstore cum gift shop cum stationery shop cum cafe which serves some rather nice sandwiches and sizzlers. And the best thing about the cafe is that you can read as you eat. You can pick up a book from a small selection that is displayed and read as much as you want to. In my opinion, nothing beats the good book and coffee combination.

Though this shop has been there since quite some time but I discovered it some weekends back when I was bored and had nothing to do. Hubby was heading towards one of the pubs to catch the F1 action on the big screen with his buddies and I was not very keen on it. So I asked him to drop me at this place. It had rained a little and the weather was great; I ordered for a latte and settled down with a slim volume titled "All about men and women" or something like that. It was a collection of short writings by Indian men and women. It was serious in parts but mostly hilarious; a cheeky statement about the gender equation in urban India. Good weather, good coffee and most importantly a good piece of writing, I could not have asked for anything better. It is amazing the kind of peace I feel when I am engrossed in reading something. In the business of everyday living and going through the motions of living, there are some moments when you think that "Aha!! this IS Life"; reading something good or watching a good movie or even listening to a good song always makes me feel that way.

The following lines from a favorite song come to mind

ye aasaman ye baadal ye raaste ye havaa
har ek chiiz hai apani jagah thikaane pe
kai dino se shikaayat nahin zamaane se

No comments: